Angela McIlveen is the CEO and Co-Founder of the McIlveen Family Law Firm. She is the driving force behind the growth of the law firm. Angela and her husband and business partner, Sean McIlveen are committed to growing a practice that serves families and is a great place to work for employees.
Angela McIlveen says, "The first thing you will notice when you meet me is that I genuinely care about the clients of the Firm. Maybe it’s because I remember going through my parents’ nasty divorce when I was 6 years old. I know how my parents' divorce impacted my life and growing up with my dad when kids didn’t grow up with their fathers definitely shaped my life. In case you are wondering, no my mom wasn’t a bad person. My dad just had the best attorney in town." Having witnessed her own parents divorce and custody battle, Angela McIlveen knows how hard divorce can be for children.
She also has the unique perspective of having gone through her own custody trial. Angela was actually called as a witness and had to testify in court. Having lived through her own case, Angela McIlveen knows how crazy going through a divorce or custody lawsuit can make you.
When asked about why her colleagues say she is aggressive, Angela says, "I wouldn't say that I'm aggressive. I would say that I’m just passionate about my clients and what I do. Whether I am in or out of the courtroom, I give it my all. And I hate to lose!"
While Angela lives for the courtroom, she knows that it isn’t always the best place for clients to resolve their disputes. Despite her reputation for being a tough divorce lawyer, she is always willing to discuss a reasonable settlement. In fact, Angela McIlveen thinks that most cases should be resolved outside of the courtroom through mediation.
Angela McIlveen is often called on to speak at conferences and to teach continuing legal education to attorneys in the community. She is also a frequent guest on both tv and radio.
She is an avid reader and writer and enjoys traveling to new adventures. When Angela isn't running the law practice, she loves spending time with her grandchildren and her husband, Sean McIlveen.
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers 2017
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers 2016
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers 2015
- Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating
- Top 10 Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2015, 2016
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40, American Society of Legal Advocates 2014, 2015
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys under 40, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys
- Leader in the Law, North Carolina Lawyers Weekly 2014
- Client Choice Award, Avvo 2014
- Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers 2014
- GLM International Marketer of the Year 2015
- America’s PremierExperts in Publishing Expert Content America’s PremierExperts 2013
- National Membership, Order of Barristers 2006
- Divorce Law: Financial Documents and Mistakes 2019
- Building an Inc. 5000 Law Firm, Lawyernomics by Avvo 2018
- Divorce Law: Common Mistakes in Dividing Assets, NBI 2017
- Advanced Divorce Law Valuing and Dividing Complex Assets: Stock, Pensions, Retirement and more, NBI 2016
- GLM 2014
- NC Divorce Seminar What You Need to Know About Divorce 2012
- Focus on Decision-Makers Crafting the Right Story for Your Audience 2012
- Insurance CLE for Geico Insurance Law 2011
RECENT ARTICLES AND INTERVIEWS
- Think Fast: Discovering an Unfaithful Spouse, WBTV interview
- Gaston Gazette
- Breaking Down Walls, Broke Down Barriers
- Arroe Collins 99.7 Unplugged and Totally Uncut
- Business Leader Spotlight
- Divorce Guidebook
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- North Carolina State Bar
- Florida State Bar (CLER exempt)
- Charlotte City Club, member
- Gaston County Bar Association Attorney, member 2013 – Present
- North Carolina Bar Association, member 2009 – Present
- Family Law Section Attorney, member 2012 – Present
- Law Practice Management Section Board, member 2013 – 2017
- Technology Subcommittee 2013 – 2017
- Nominating Committee 2013 – 2015
- American Bar Association Attorney Member 2013 – Present
- Law Practice Management Section Attorney 2013 – Present
- Family Law Section Attorney 2013 – Present
- Litigation Section Attorney Member 2014 – Present
- National Institute of Trial Lawyers Member 2014-2016
- National Women Trial Lawyers Member 2014 – 2016
- Answer Scholarship Committee Member 2012 – 2015
- National Association Of Women Business Owners Member 2012 – 2013
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association Attorney Member 2009 – 2012
EDUCATIONJ.D. Case Western Reserve School of Law, Concentration in Litigation
- Milton A. Kramer Criminal Justice Clinic participant
- Member, Order of Barristers National Honor Society
- Team member, Mock Trial: NTC Competition 2-0, Crosstown Competition 1-1;
- Coach/Coordinator, AIPLA Moot Court Team;
- Highest Grades: Trial Tactics, Genetics, Milton Kramer Criminal Law Clinic: A
- Authored two notes: How, if at all, is the issue of “luring” (i.e. enticing a suspect overseas, via a ruse, to travel to a place where he is then arrested and taken to another country for trial) or abduction addressed under international and U.S. law? (written for the Office of the Prosecutor of the Military Tribunal at Guantanamo Bay); and The Absent Victim: Undermining the Adversarial Process.
- Leadership Scholarship